THIS SITE IS MOVING TO ANOTHER LOCATION:

This site has moved to another blog called, ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY. There will me no further posts to this site. The new site will continue so show my regular shooting progress, but will also contain other topics on photography, such as hands-on equipment and software reviews, historical information on photography, and much more.

When it was set up, the DAILY STOCK SHOT PROJECT was supposed to be a one year project. Last year I extended the project another year due to the popularity of the site, but now it is time to move on.

If you wish to continue following, please visit my new blog at ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY and save it as a new link.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Found patterns

While wandering around the streets of New York, I am always looking for patterns that can be worked into a composition.  I particularly like working to a grid format.  Here are a few I just found.

This is a patch in a sidewalk.  I greatly enhanced the color by moving the image to the LAB color space in Photoshop.  LAB is a more extensive color space than RGB and enhances an image by bringing out colors that are naturally inherent in the subject but very difficult to see with the naked eye.  I often think of Monet painting his haystacks and seeing colors there that the ordinary eye would miss.  His artistic brain must have had a built-in LAB converter.

This image and the one below were taken by shooting straight down on gardening flats I found at the local farmer's market.  Both were similarly enhanced by treatment in LAB color.

All photos were taken with the Fuji X-Pro1 camera and 35mm lens.  As of this post, there is still no RAW converter for Photoshop so I had to work with jpgs and their shallower 8-bit color depth.  I have the camera set to capture both RAW and jpg at the same time so I can go back and rework the images once the RAW profile comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment