THIS SITE IS MOVING TO ANOTHER LOCATION:

This site has moved to another blog called, ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY. There will me no further posts to this site. The new site will continue so show my regular shooting progress, but will also contain other topics on photography, such as hands-on equipment and software reviews, historical information on photography, and much more.

When it was set up, the DAILY STOCK SHOT PROJECT was supposed to be a one year project. Last year I extended the project another year due to the popularity of the site, but now it is time to move on.

If you wish to continue following, please visit my new blog at ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY and save it as a new link.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Last night the moon was at its closest point to earth making it brighter and larger than normal.  Achieving a quality image of the moon is harder than it might appear.  First of all, you need an extremely long focal length of 1200-1800mm to fill the frame.  Next, the moon is actually moving at a fairly fast pace so you need a high shutter speed.  I was working from home and my longest telephoto lenses were at the studio so I had to make do with either the Nikon 200-400 zoom or 300mm tele.  I added a 1.7x extender to increase the focal length, and decided to use the Nikon D7000 because its smaller sensor added a further 1.5x focal length multiplier.This gave me an effective 765mm length with the 300 lens, and 1020mm with the 400mm lens.  Unfortunately this fell short of the ideal 1200-1800mm length so I did have to crop the final image to achieve what you see here.

I do not like to push the ISO on the D700 so I tried it at both 100 and 200.  The moon was so bright that I was able to shoot at 1/500 sec even at 100 ISO.  Camera shake is a major problem with an extremely long lens setup so I used a double tripod -- one for the lens and one for the camera.  An extremely nice feature of all professional Nikon DSLR cameras is that they have a mirror lock-up setting readily selectable from a dial on top of the body.  Mirror lock-up is necessary to further avoid camera shake.  Of course the most pleasant part of the shot was that I was able to do it right from my open apartment window.

No comments:

Post a Comment