THIS SITE IS MOVING TO ANOTHER LOCATION:

This site has moved to another blog called, ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY. There will me no further posts to this site. The new site will continue so show my regular shooting progress, but will also contain other topics on photography, such as hands-on equipment and software reviews, historical information on photography, and much more.

When it was set up, the DAILY STOCK SHOT PROJECT was supposed to be a one year project. Last year I extended the project another year due to the popularity of the site, but now it is time to move on.

If you wish to continue following, please visit my new blog at ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY and save it as a new link.

Monday, February 14, 2011

1st Quarter Update

Three months have gone by since I began this blog and I thought it might be time to pause and look at the results so far.  Despite the fact that I did some traveling in that time period, I did not miss a single day of posting to the blog.  I set out to take one shot a day for a year.  Taking photos is a lot like eating candy, one always leads to another.  On average I am finding that I take three or four images per day directly attributable to this blog.  So it looks like the blog project will increase my annual production by 1000-1400 images this year.  That is a substantial number, and more that I had thought I would do when I began this project.

Let's look at the results so far: Most of the blog images are still life or walk-around pick up shots.  This is very different from my normally scheduled shoots, which in the main include models.   I wanted to maintain this project as a low budget, opportunistic shooting event, and that is exactly what it is.  The first images from the project are just now entering the marketplace to be sold.  I would expect to see the first sales results around June, but the results will not be very meaningful because they only represent the return from a small number of images. 

The blog has had an ancillary benefit of keeping my mind constantly on stock production.  I find that my constant awareness of image concepts has increased and has resulted in a higher production rate in my normal workflow.  Typically in the past I produced around 50 images a day from a shoot.  Over the past few months my production has increased to a daily return of 60-80 images per day.  This is directly attributable to the mind set I am in as a result of having to come up with one blog shot each and every day.  The stock photography equivalent of writer's block is a serious impediment to a steady stream of image production.  A project such as this is a nice home-remedy for that.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment