THIS SITE IS MOVING TO ANOTHER LOCATION:

This site has moved to another blog called, ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY. There will me no further posts to this site. The new site will continue so show my regular shooting progress, but will also contain other topics on photography, such as hands-on equipment and software reviews, historical information on photography, and much more.

When it was set up, the DAILY STOCK SHOT PROJECT was supposed to be a one year project. Last year I extended the project another year due to the popularity of the site, but now it is time to move on.

If you wish to continue following, please visit my new blog at ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY and save it as a new link.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

At a recent auction I picked up this navigation map of the Atlantic Ocean dating to 1780.  It arrived in the mail today.  I will proceed to photograph this map for stock over the next few years. Once I have exhausted the photo possibilities, I will auction it off again.  Usually this results in a profit on the map,or at worse breaking even.  End result is an expensive prop that I use for free.
The photo above this one is a straight shot of the map, and in itself a simple, but effective stock shot.  In this photo I begin to add technique to the map giving it a different look and increasing its stock sales potential.
This sextant is another prop I picked up the same way as the map.  I wanted to do a combination shot of it with the map, but before I did I grabbed this quick image of the sextant by itself -- a stock photo in its own rite.
Finally, here is the combination of the map with the sextant.  So in all, this one new prop of the map along with the sextant resulted in four quick photos, none of which I would have taken had it not been for this daily blog project.  It's  beginning to look like this idea may become quite profitable.  Can't wait to see some results.

The compass rose on the map is emphasized because of its importance as a conceptual element.  It will be interesting to see how many more times this map will be used to create a photo during the year of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment